While my last post touched on why travel delays are expected to get worse, there are a couple of other points worth mentioning concerning cuts in airline staff and rising “load capacity”. While airlines struggle to stay profitable they have been cutting back on staff and operating flights at 80-90 percent capacity, as opposed to 65 percent pre-9/11.
So what does this mean to airline travelers today and in the near future?
- More delayed and cancelled flights,
- less airline employees to help you when trouble arises, and
- less opportunity to find empty seats for delayed travelers.
The article linked to above suggests some ways to cope with the expected rise in delays, such as:
- Go early!
- Bring your cell phone and charger,
- and, of course consider travel insurance.